Wednesday, November 17, 2010

It's More Expensive Than New York!!!!


"It's more expensive than New York!"

I've been told this many times about our nightly charge. It could be true, maybe. In 1972. Or in upstate New York. Somewhere outside of Albany I bet. But Manhattan?! GET THE FUCK OUTTA HERE!!!

Shit, the last time I went to NYC was November of '09 (2009 - I ain't that old ya bitches!) and a public lot was just north of $35 for a couple of hours. I can only imagine what the hotel overnight charge for parking is over there. Smell me?

Look, I'm not saying $43 a night (plus tax) isn't expensive. I completely agree that it's insane. Trust me when I say that we the valets hate it even more than you do as a consumer. Why? Because we have to hear it from every other guest. "$43?!?!?!" "Are you out of your mind?!" "That's robbery!" "Why don't you just hold a gun to my head?!"

Fool, if we could hold a gun to your head..... We'd take a lot more than $43. But we ain't criminal minded. That's why we work for a living and put up with you, your attitude, your lack of common sense, your grimey ass car, your hilarious attempts to get over on paying your room and/or parking bill, and also your bald face lies about cheaper parking in New York.

Look, all I'm saying is that I have a cousin in Albuquerque (Yeah, New Mexico) who also works in a hotel. Cuzzo told me recently that THEY charge for parking. Sure it's only $10 a night, BUT IT'S FUCKING ALBUQUERQUE!!!!!!! Imagine what they charge in places where people actually want to go. Places like, I don't know, San Francisco or New York.

Go ahead. Give it a thought. Don't be shy. No, no keep in mind that SF and NYC have a ridiculous amount of population density. What? Crap, there you go getting all "spread the wealth" pseudo communist on me. No, parking doesn't HAVE to be free. Hhhhmmmm, care to take the same approach with health care? No? Didn't think so - that's why you and your type 2 diabetes having ass drives a brand new Hummer when you can't afford health insurance. Smart choice. But back to the subject at hand.

Keep in mind the population density thing AND the fact that we are in a free market capitalist economy. Makes your head hurt, doesn't it? What? No, free parking at Fisherman's Wharf and downtown died long ago.  On the street? Metered parking only. 7am to 7pm. One hour limit. A quarter gets you 5 minutes. Yeah, no the fine for not feeding the meter is $51. Sorry. But hey, there's a place around the corner that charges $30 a night, but they don't lock the gates. It's an open air lot. And I don't think they have an attendant OR a security guard.

Go ahead, I don't mind if you go see for yourself. I'm serious, that's the cheapest I've seen around here. Cool, I'll see you in 10 minutes. Hurry up though, I'm almost out of spaces.

2 comments:

  1. Do these people event attempt looking for parking before scoffing at the $43 charge? Plus, as you mention, it is VALET parking, which means that they just drive up, leave the car with a responsible person, and forget about it! Finding a decent parking spot in that city is always a challenge and I think the tourists just don't understand that..

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, they don't attempt to look at parking, that's why they leave to go find something cheaper and come back 10 minutes later saying crap like "okay, you win."

    I have to admit though, it makes me happy when we are sold out or close to being sold out and they get so infuriated that they cancel their reservations all because they refuse to pay $43 for parking. Then they come back an hour or two later trying to get their room back because they found out the hard way that EVERY hotel in the city is sold out, just as or more expensive, or that there is no such thing as FREE parking in SF. Then they get told by the front desk that since they canceled their reservation, the room was given to someone else and that no more rooms are available. KARMA, sweet sweet KARMA!

    ReplyDelete